You can re-wire your Brain for Happiness
Looking for Happiness? Whether you have more happy or sad thoughts depends on the structure of your brain. The majority of us have a tendency to focus on the negative, this is known as a negativity bias. This is because negative experiences trigger stronger and more memorable emotions than good ones.
Your tendency to focus on happy or sad thoughts depends on a certain part of your brain, the amygdala. This is the part of the brain in charge of your emotional responses. The Amygdala is also linked to another part of the brain known as the nucleus accumbens. This is the part of the brain that drives us to set and achieve goals.
Is your amygdala happy or sad?
Some people have happy amygdalas allowing them to be optimistic and focus on opportunities. These positive thoughts strengthen the desire to take action and achieve goals, creating happy experiences and generating positive feedback to the brain.
Most of us have a sad amygdala. Leading to fear-based reactions releasing cortisol and adrenaline making us feel anxious and edgy.
Do you think your amygdala has a bias towards negative or positive thinking?
Changing your Amygdala
The human brain is constantly evolving and changing which gives us the power to affect the way we experience our lives. There are many cognitive exercises you can do to change your brain.
- Visualisation. May include repeated mental exercises where you imagine receiving positive reinforcement that can change the structure of the brain by strengthening its ability to feel happiness.
- Positive input. To combat negativity removing yourself from a negative situation and putting yourself into one with positive associations can soothe the nervous system and adrenals.
- Recognition. Recognising when you have achieved something important and giving yourself praise can help you gain confidence in yourself, this is linked to happier states of being.
- Practicing Gratitude. If you note down the things that you are thankful for each day, this will train your brain to recognize reasons to be happy throughout your day.
- Practicing Mindfulness. Mindfulness shifts your thoughts from a ‘negative’ future and into the present moment where worries cannot exist.
- Use Affirmations. Working with affirmations will help you focus on positive possibilities which over time will wire your brain to change your inner monologue.
Happiness can heal past traumas and feelings of pain and grief. There is no limit to a number of positive experiences you can create for yourself. Using the power of your own mind you can rewire your brain toward happiness.
Are you ready to create your Happy Life?
Kinesiology can help rewire your brain for happiness.
Kinesiology can be used as a tool to identify and reduce stress on a subconscious level. By working with TCM acupoints to stimulate the amygdala, kinesiology gives us a unique way to shift strong negative emotions and create new attitudes and beliefs about the self.
Suggested treatment plan.
- An initial 90-minute kinesiology consultation followed by 3 – 5 standard consultations 1 -2 weeks apart.
- Further follow-up standard consultations should be spaced between 2 -4 weeks apart or booked as needed.
Hardwiring Happiness by Dr Rick Hanson (2013) presents the latest research in the neuroscience of happiness and explains how you can reprogram your brain to focus on the good, rather than obsessing over the bad. Purchase from Book Depository or on iBooks.
Kristen is a Kinesiologist, Dreamworker, Counsellor, Coach and Yoga instructor. She has been helping people with their physical, emotional and spiritual journeys for over 12 years.
Kristen specialises in working with the power of the subconscious mind.
Her unique model of conscious wellness is based on working with the energy-body as an interface between the physical body and the mind.
Kristen offers a highly individualised service to help our clients to live consciously, awaken their potential and discover their purpose.
Kristen’s passion is helping you to achieve inner peace, purpose and clarity by discovering your own unique truth and working towards your highest potential.
Kristen practices in Camberwell, Melbourne and is avaiable for Online sessions.