Kinesiology for Social Anxiety
Social Anxiety is the experience of fear and/or anxiety in social situations. In these situations the sufferer thinks they may embarrass themselves or make a fool of themselves in some way.
There can be varying degrees of social anxiety. Many people can experience some form of anxiety when in a social situation. We all know the nervous anticipation we feel when we have to stand up in front of a group to speak, or give a presentation. We often feel nervous when walking into a social gathering where we don’t know many people.
A diagnosis of social anxiety is made if the fear and anxiety is effecting people to a degree that it is debilitating and restricting their life. For instance, if we feel fear and anxiety/panic only when we have to give a presentation in front of a group, (and we are not required to give presentations on a regular basis) then we may have a specific phobia of public speaking. If we fear we will embarrass ourselves or make a fool of ourselves, in some or all areas of our life, to the point where we experience intense anxiety and/or panic then a diagnosis of Social Anxiety might be given.
Common experiences and fears relating to Social Anxiety are:
- Fear of embarrassing ourselves in some way
- Fear that we may make a fool of ourselves in some way.
- Fear of doing, saying, or acting the wrong way
- Fear that others are scrutinising us or judging us in a negative way
- Fear of what others think of us, of inadequacy, of self-doubt
- Feeling uncertain and insecure
- Feelings of self consciousness when in the presence of others
- Feelings of shyness
- Sensitivity to the words/actions/reactions of others
- Uncertainty about how to act or be around others and judging ourselves as being less then others.
As a result of these feelings, many people find that they start to avoid certain situations. They may find themselves enduring intense anxiety in social or work situations. These might include:
- Fear of public speaking (includes making a presentation, talking to a group of people, speaking at a social occasion eg. wedding).
- Fear of social occasions eg. Christmas gatherings, dinner at a restaurant, party
- Fear of initiating or maintaining conversations
- Fear of doing an activity in front of others eg. photocopying while others wait, using the ATM machine
- Fear of being watched at work
- Fear of writing or signing documents in front of others
- Fear of eating and/or drinking in front of others.
- Fear of being in a crowd, fear of a general social/group situation.
- Fear of evaluation by others or fear of shaking hands.
People with social anxiety can have panic attacks specific to their fear of social situations. They often experience the symptoms of anxiety. Social anxiety can be helped with Kinesiology and counselling. These gentle therapies are designed to address the causes of social anxiety. The cause often stems from past events and experiences (including expereinces from childhood). Kinesiology will help the individual to integrate past experiences as well as remove energetic blockages (traumas) that may be present because of them.
Suggested treatment plan.
When addressing social anxiety concerns with us we recommend:
- An initial 90 minute kinesiology consultation followed by 3 – 5 standard consultations 1 -2 weeks apart.
- Further follow-up standard consultations should be spaced between 2 -4 weeks apart or booked as needed.
If you want to find out more about anxiety check out beyond blue and download a fact sheet from their website.
Kristen is a professional Kinesiologist, Dreamworker, Coach and Yoga instructor. She has been helping people with their physical, emotional and spiritual journeys for 13 years. Kristen’s professional approach, dedication, and enthusiasm have helped hundreds of people breakthrough in their personal and professional lives.
Kristen specialises in working with the power of the subconscious mind.
Her unique model of conscious wellness uses the energy-body as an interface between the physical body and the mind.
Kristen offers a highly individualised service to help our clients to live consciously, awaken their potential and discover their purpose.
Kristen’s passion is helping you to achieve inner peace, purpose and clarity by discovering your unique truth and working towards your highest potential. Her personal belief is that everything we create in our life comes back to our attitudes, beliefs and behaviours, most of which we are not consciously aware of. Her vocational appetite is for exploring the subconscious mind (including dreams) to help her clients achieve happiness, discover their unique truth and work towards their highest potential. Kristen’s goal is to her clients create vibrant, dynamic purpose-driven lives that are in alignment with their soul’s purpose.