Kinesiology for Depression
Kinesiology is incredibly effective in the treatment of depression. When combined with counselling during the session it is a power tool to help individuals resolve their past issues and gain the confidence they need to move forward.
What is Depression?
We can all feel sad, moody or low from time to time. However, some people experience these feelings intensely, for long periods of time (weeks, months or even years) and sometimes without any defined reason.
Depression is a serious illness that has an impact on both physical and mental health.
What causes depression?
Depression has a range of causes which include:
- Family history – Depression can run in families and some people will be at an increased genetic risk. This doesn’t mean that a person is destined to experience depression if a parent has had the illness. Life circumstances and other personal factors are still likely to have an important influence.
- Personality – Some people may be more at risk of depression because of their personality, particularly if they have a tendency to worry a lot, have low self-esteem, are perfectionists, are sensitive to personal criticism, or are self-critical and negative.
- Serious medical illness – Having a medical illness can trigger depression. Serious illnesses can bring about depression directly, or can contribute to depression through associated stress and worry, especially if it involves long-term management of the illness and/or chronic pain.
- Drug and alcohol use – Drug and alcohol use can both lead to and result from depression. Many people with depression also have drug and alcohol problems. Over 500,000 Australians will experience depression and a substance use disorder at the same time, at some point in their lives.
- Spiritual crisis – often referred to as dark night of the soul, is a crises of spirit where the individual may need to experience a certain level of distress or disconnection from true self.
We are all uniquely individual and often it’s a combination of factors that contribute to depression.
Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms of depression may not be obvious as they tend to develop gradually. We all experience sad moments but these often subside when the external stressor is removed.
Signs and symptoms of depression may include:
- not going out
- not socialising
- not getting things done at work/school
- withdrawing from close family and friends
- relying on alcohol and sedatives
- not doing usual enjoyable activities
- inability to concentrate
- lacking in confidence
- ‘I’m a failure.’
- ‘It’s my fault.’
- ‘Nothing good ever happens to me.’
- ‘I’m worthless.’
- ‘Life’s not worth living.’
- ‘People would be better off without me.’
- tired all the time
- sick and run down
- headaches and muscle pains
- stomach and digestive complaints
- sleep problems
- loss or change of appetite
- significant weight loss or gain
How Kinesiology works for depression.
Kinesiology is a therapy designed to identify and reduce stress on a number of different levels. In the case of depression, often we know that we are feeling depressed but we find it difficult to understand why. On a spiritual level depression is sometimes confused or equated with a ‘dark night of the soul’ which may identifies a crisis of spirit. A qualified spiritual advisor or guide such as a kinesiologist will be able to help you to define the difference.
Kinesiology helps us to identify the causes of depression or ‘dark night’ by accessing the many and varied subconscious connections that lead to an depressed state. By working with the subconscious mind to unlock and integrate past experiences and events we can help the body to let go of stress, emotional attachment and energetic blockages. We can also determine if nutritional supplementation is needed to help with the healing process.
Suggested treatment plan.
Kinesiology can be complementary to many treatments for depression. When treating depression with the help of kinesiology I recommend:
- An initial 90 minute kinesiology consultation followed by 3 – 5 standard consultations 1 -2 weeks apart.
- Further follow-up standard consultations should be spaced between 2 -4 weeks apart or booked as needed.
If you want to find out more about depression you can check out the online quiz at beyond blue and download a fact sheet from their website.
Kristen is a professional Kinesiologist, Dreamworker, Coach and Yoga instructor. She has been helping people with their physical, emotional and spiritual journeys for 13 years. Kristen’s professional approach, dedication, and enthusiasm have helped hundreds of people breakthrough in their personal and professional lives.
Kristen specialises in working with the power of the subconscious mind.
Her unique model of conscious wellness is based on working with the energy-body as an interface between the physical body and the mind.
Kristen offers a highly individualised service to help our clients to live consciously, awaken their potential and discover their purpose.
Kristen’s passion is helping you to achieve inner peace, purpose and clarity by discovering your own unique truth and working towards your highest potential. Her personal belief is that everything we create in our life comes back to our attitudes, beliefs and behaviours most of which we are not consciously aware of. Her vocational appetite is for exploring the subconscious mind (including dreams) to help her clients achieve happiness, discover their unique truth and work towards their highest potential. Kristen’s goal is to her clients achieve vibrant, dynamic purpose-driven lives that are in alignment with their soul’s purpose.
On a personal level, Kristen started her career in Arts Management working in casting, training and managing Aussie actors and then eventually moving on to the Circus. Kristen spent her own share of time in the spotlight teaching and bellydancing professionally, a passion that took her to competitions and performances in Egypt, Greece and New York. She lives a quieter life now helping others acheive their dreams and has run her wellness practice, Affinity Wellness for the past 13 years.
Kristen practices in Camberwell, Melbourne and is available for online sessions.